BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, August 13, 2010

Military Wife Poems


                                                          The Navy Wife
 
A Navy Wife is no ordinary woman. Operating for months at a time without the companionship or assistance of her husband, she routinely overcomes challenges that would give the average person a nervous breakdown.

Part Doctor, part Teacher and part Handyman, she can lavish loving care on a sick toddler, help a teenager with his Algebra homework, and track down a faulty circuit breaker -- all while holding down a full time job.

With thirty minutes notice, she can serve breakfast, lunch, or dinner to fourteen hungry Sailors, and still somehow balance her family's meager grocery budget.

She can press a set of dress whites to inspection standards, tie a perfect square knot in a military neckerchief, and pack a sea-bag in the cold hours before dawn.

For months at a time, she must settle for letters instead of kisses, emails in place of hugs, and long-distance phone calls in lieu of her husband's touch. She manages a smile when her Sailor is at sea for the second Anniversary in a row, and accepts the fact that there's a one-in-three chance that he will have to stand Duty on her Birthday. She has learned to stand on a pier and wave goodbye without tears, even when her heart is breaking.

To her children, she is Chauffeur, Umpire, Psychologist, Spiritual Advisor, Financial Consultant, part-time Father, Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause, and the Easter Bunny. To her husband, she is Friend, Lover, Partner, Confidant, and Soul-Mate.

She is a patriot. She is the sort of citizen that all of us should be, but so few of us are. She lives with sacrifice, because she believes in the rights and ideals that her husband defends. Although she wears no uniform, she is a part of that defense -- a vital link in the chain of Freedom. Although she wears no medals and will reap no glory on the field of battle, she is a hero in the truest sense of the word.
She is a Navy Wife.


                                                              A Navy Wife's Poem

                                                       I'm not the perfect Navy Wife
                                                   The deployments sometimes get to me
                               There are times when nothing seems to go right when hes gone
              I think about how wonderful it would be to have my sailor home all the time.

There are times when he is home I push him away so it doesn't hurt so bad when  he                                                                         leaves again
            At night I cry cause I can no longer handle trying to stay strong.
                             There are times when I fell like walking away from this life I built
                   But when I stop and think about it I remember just how much I love my man
                                                         Im proud to be a Navy Wife.

IM THE GIRL

You don't know but I'm the girl who cries every night wondering when his next return will be. 
I'm the girl who drags herself out of bed every morning so that he will be proud of me when he comes home. 
I'm the girl who lies in bed longing for him to be lying next to me. 
I'm the girl who sits quietly during class because all I can think about is that next moment when he will be safely in my arms again. 
You don't know but I'm the girl with a million things to say but not one will come out without the thought of him.
I'm the girl who checks my cell phone every five seconds to make sure I haven't missed his call or a text message. 
I'm the girl who stops and stares and wishes for him to return soon each and every time another man in uniform walks by. 
What you don't know is that I know love on an entirely different level from most.  I know the love that spans time and space. 
The love that most people are constantly searching for.
I'm one of the girls who waits months for a single kiss, a kiss that will make the months apart worth every second.
A kiss where everything in the world stops and for what seems like eternity, you can see into the person's soul and know that without them, life is not worth living.
You tell me I'm too young to be "so in love" I know that love has no age limit.  You tell me I don't even understand what love is, I tell you, I know more love in one homecoming than most know in a lifetime. 
You don't know that every time he leaves a part of me goes with him and part of him stays with me.
You tell me that people change and I tell you true love will always remain the same. 
You tell me I'm too young to be in a serious relationship, I tell you that I'm too in love to not be. 
You tell me you know how I feel and that you understand what I'm going through, you have no idea. 
What you don't realize is that I understand the true meaning of not only love but longing and anticipation.
You don't see but I'm one of the few who gets goose bumps as my hearts fills with pride every time the National Anthem is playing. 
I'm one of the girls who will stand tall and stay strong on the outside but be dying on the inside. 
I'm one of the girls who will make friends with complete strangers for only they can even begin to understand what I am going through. 
You don't understand that I picture his face everywhere I go and that he is with me in everything that I do. 
You think I don't cry anymore, that I have gotten over it, but what you don't know is that I just hide it better.
You don't know the feeling the first time you hear the word deployment or the feeling of his hand as it slides out of yours for what could be the last time.
You don't know what that last hug or kiss means and how important that good-bye truly is.
I'm the girl you see standing alone in the airport watching quietly out the window with tears rolling down my cheeks.
I'm the girl you see walking by with a disheartened face staring silently at the ground.
What you don;t know is that I know true love and that no matter what obstacles we have to face, our love will live forever.
You tell me you support the the men in uniform I tell you I'm in love with one.
I'm one of the silent but outgoing, weak but strong, scared but grateful.  What you don't see is that without me he is nothing and without him I am nothing.
I'm one of those girls. the girl who stands tall behind her soldier, behind her hero, stands strong behind her man, watching silently as he serves and defends our country.
(I didn't write this)



THIS IS FOR YOU

For all of you who wake up in the morning, lay there for a few moments, trying to swallow the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach as you wonder where your soldier is, or how he's doing...this is for you.
For all of you who start a countdown the minute he leaves, and continue to until he is back in your arms again...this is for you.
For all of you who tear up every time "Far Away" comes on the radio, or who press repeat when "Come Home Soon" plays in their car...this one's for you.
This is for you.
I am one of you too.  This is for us.
For all the times we sleep with our phones on the loudest possible volume, just as to not miss the call that just MIGHT come...
For all the times we hear our soldier's name mentioned out loud, and are momentarily frozen...in a trance...in love.
For all the late nights that we spend alone, cuddling with our stuffed animals, wearing our soldiers army sweatshirts and sweatpants, and clutching the precious dog tags around our necks...
This one's for us.
We may feel weak on the inside, but on the outside we're strong.
We may be drowning in tears on the inside, but on the outside, we are a rock.
We may want to crawl in bed and sleep until our man comes home, but instead, we get up and go on with our daily lives with our men in our hearts.
We may feel like we're slowly dying with each day we spend apart from our men, but instead, we put one foot in front of the other, and take each day as it comes.
We are strong, and we are proud.
We have more love in our hearts than we ever thought possible, and for this, we are thankful.  We are thankful for our men and also for each other.  We are Army girls, and we lean on each other.
Alone we are weak, but together, we are strong.  We help each other, and we survive.
To all you Army girls out there, hold your head up and be proud.
We are connected, ALWAYS
(I didn't write this)



YOU DON'T KNOW ME

by: Beth Hamilton
You don't know me but I am the girl that sits in the back of your classroom. You think that I don't care and you treat me as a waste of space because I don't seem to listen to you or participate in discussions. What you don't know is that I am listening, but I have more on my mind than you can possibly imagine. I don't participate in discussions because I know that when certain topics come up I will not be able to control my emotions
You don't know me but I am the employee that never seems to get a task done. This is because to you, I am too concerned with my cell phone to get any work done, for you see I am always checking it. What you don't know is that it isn't who is calling me, but who isn't calling me. You have no idea that I haven't heard anything, good or bad news, for almost a week now...no signs of life, no warm words 
You don't know me, but I am your neighbor. You think that I am an awkward young teenager because you never see me going out or with friends just coming home after work with this depressing look on my face. You know that I live practically alone, yet you always see me carrying massive amounts of food and supplies into my home. What you don't know is that I send that food to him. I spend my nights putting together care packages instead of getting drunk. I don't go out because he might call and I would never miss a chance for a two minute conversation.
You don't know me but I am your daughter. You say to me that I am still a child, who doesn't know what I want. You tell me I am crazy for wanting to follow a man that I love across the world and back. In fact, you tell me that I do not even know what love it. What you don't know is that every negative word and every criticism cuts me deep, even if you refuse to notice. Every fiber of my being longs for him while he is gone and my loves runs deeper than any others, because I may never have the chance to show the world.Y
You don't know my but you are my friend. You have known me for years, but you still don't know me at all. You criticize me for growing up to fast. You get tired of hearing about him and how much I love him. You don't understand why I am no longer the person I was a year ago. What you don't realize is that every day I have to worry about never seeing him again. A worry like that can age you very quickly. You don't see the pain in my eyes when you fight or complain about your boyfriend. You take advantage of your time together and have no idea how much that kills me. For you see, I would give anything to spend just one moment longer with him.You don't know me but I am your fellow American. You see me as some teenage girl who cares more about her life than her world. You see me as ignorant for not reading the papers or watching the news. Because I am still a teenager you assume that I do not support this country or its people. What you don't know is that I refuse to watch the news and read the paper because I have to fear seeing his name or face. I have to worry about him and his friends every single moment of my life. You don't understand that I now live my life by, "No news is good news." What you choose to not see is that I in fact have more pride in this country and him that I tear up during our national anthem. You do not see the look in my eyes anytime I see an American Flag. You do not see the ribbon I wear swearing to be loyal and faithful to him.
You do not know me but I am your love. Although you know me best, you still do not know me very well. For you see we don't see each other and when we do it is only for a short time. You see me as strong, but deep down I am weak without you. You see me as brave, but I am truly a coward. You do not see me struggling to get up every morning without you. You also do not see the way your love for me inspires me to do great things. You do not see the way your sacrifice has shown me what is important in life. You do not see the way I light up when the phone rings. Or the feeling that I get knowing you are coming home to me. You are my best friend, my life, my love, and my sailor You mean the world to me, even though we hardly know each other. Yet despite this unfamiliarity, I know who I want to spend my life with and it is you.
Too bad you don't know me....
For I am one of the strongest people out there I am in love with a United States Solider
(I didn't write this)



BEHIND EVER SAILOR...

 There is a girl.She is always with him in heart & soul.
She goes through everything that he goes through.
She feels his pain… his sorrow… his joy… his longing… and his devotion For every minute they are apart, her heart aches… but she smiles.
She is a model to other girls. They watch her and wonder… how does she do it? She is the picture of everlasting love & fidelity to her Soldier.. His cause… and their country. 
She is his rock.. his support… his best friend… and his lover. Her job is the hardest & most painful thing she knows. It is also by far the most rewarding.Their relationship will weather storms… cross miles… and reach indescribable heights.
Not because of who they are… but because of the love that they share. A love that is patient.. honest… true.. and kind.  A love that transcends the distance. A love that is deeper than any ocean.
A love that is more abundant than all the stars in the sky.
A love that is perfect in all its flaws Behind every Sailor…
there is a girl.
And she will always love him.



The Price You Pay for Loving a Sailor

Loving a sailor has a high price to pay.
It's an ache in your heart while he is away.
It's being alone with nothing to hold,
It's being young, yet feeling so old.

It's having him whispering his love to you.
And whispering back that you love him too.
Then comes a kiss and a promise of love,
And knowing that you have been blessed from above.

Then reluctantly, painfully, letting him go.
While your dying inside from wanting him so.
Watching him go, with eyes full of tears.
Standing alone with your hopes, dreams and fears.

It's sending a letter with the stamp upside down,
To a far away love in a far away town.
It's going to church to kneel and pray,
And really meaning the things that you say.

And all the while that he is away,
You just keep on loving him more each day.
That love will bring hope and foster your dreams,
And lift you to Heaven where his love light gleams.

Days go by and there's no mail for a spell,
You wait for some word to hear that he's well.
Then the letter arrives and your given to joy!
You're like a small child with a shiny new toy!

With fingers a-tremble and heart beating fast.
You tear open his letter and read it at last.
Yes! He is well! But he misses you so...
It's filled with the love you've wanted to know.

Weeks are now months, and months are a year.
You wait for the days when you'll have no more fear.
Time passes slowly, yet it's gone very fast,
You're barely aware it is here till it's past.

Yes loving a soldier brings bitterness and fears,
loneliness and sadness, and despondent tears.
Loving a soldier really isn't much fun,
But it's well worth the price when the battle is won.

Remember he's thinking about you every day.
He's sad and he's lonely being so far away.
So love him, and miss him, and hold your head high.
Be strong and have faith, wipe that tear from your eye.

No, he won't be the same when he finally comes home.
He'll be older and wiser than the man that you've known.
But you'll also have changed, being stronger and bolder.
That's the price that you pay for loving a sailor.
(I didn't write this)


MILITARY GIRL HANDBOOK

1. Don't count on anything!
2. Don't listen to ANYONE on the outside. All you will get is negative remarks, which will make things harder for you to deal with.
3. When he becomes stubborn and a royal pain in the ass, just remind yourself he's probably had a bad day, and being away from you is hard on him too. So just let him rant and don't take it personal.
4. When you're down, treat yourself.
5. Learn how to listen if you don't know how! He will need you, you will be the one he comes to when he needs to bitch, but don't bitch back...that is what the Navy/Girlfriends/Fiances/ Wifes are for! This is a hard time for our men and they NEED us much more than sometimes they think they do!
6. Love your Sailor be truthful, and reassure him, even if he is deployed he'll have someone to come back too!
7. He will try to pull away at some point. Whether directly telling you to move on, not wait for him or just becoming distant. It's a way they try of dealing, stick with him cause he really does want (and need) you there.
8. When he is away for a long time, or even just a couple hours away, write a lot of letters! Communication is key to a relationship.
9. Some of his friends will probably be morons - expect this.
10. You aren't the only woman in his life (his mom misses and loves him too!) so make sure she is updated on what is going on with him.
11. He needs to feel important so don't hold back on the compliments - remind him how proud you are of what he does.
12. Chances are they won't call when they say they will (that especially applies for deployed!).
13. Don't buy that nonrefundable airplane ticket too early.
14. When eating with a sailor you either finish your "chow" in 15 minutes or less or be stared at until you are finished.
15. Never take one single minute with them for granted. Live each day with them like its the last one you'll have for a while, because with the Navy, it just might be!
16. Take lots of pictures, so you can remember what each other looks like!
17. Don't even TRY to compare your Sailor to ordinary men. You can no longer bitch about broken plans, that phone call you were supposed to get but didn't, missed birthdays and anniversaries, his snoring (hey, at least he's sleeping BESIDE you), spending more time with "the boys" than you, etc., etc., etc...
18. Always look on the bright side of things. How many of your gal-pals get their first encounter, first date, first kiss from their men over and over again??
19. Gotta be able to keep up with your man. We give our Sailors a whole new meaning of PT =)
20. Even if he says he will, he probably won't. Maybe really means probably not OR probably not when he said he would (example: "I might be able to call you tomorrow" but he can't find the time to call until a week later or "I might be able to come home next month for a week"...that might turn into 2 weeks)
21. Being a Sailor's girlfriend/fiance is the toughest job in the Navy. You have to deal with stress similar to the wives, without the promise of forever or the benefits and support they get.
22. We find ourselves using military lingo. "I'm gonna go get my room squared away", "It's chow time", or using military time
23. Patience is the biggest key to making the relationship work... you have to wait a lot but in the end, waiting is what made it all worthwhile.(I didn't write this)


MILITARY GIRLIES

1.) If she wasn't emotional before, that is all about to change.
2.) You getting a higher rank could just mean an automatic free lay.
3.) Get her a pair of dog tags, ASAP, This is crucial, she will never take them off.
4.) Most of the time, you losing reception during training is your fault.
(Though, she will eventually understand)
5.) Most of the time, everything is your fault.
(This especially goes for when she is pregnant)
6.) She WILL start talking like your guys and you talk, including using your last names.
7.) Her patriotism could out-do most of your men... she will be proud... VERY proud.
8.) Be Ready: your car will end up with a yellow ribbon magnet or an "I LOVE MY _____" sticker eventually.
(if you have separate cars, hers will DEFINITELY have these)
9.) She will most likely need a pair of dog tags to hang from the car's rear view mirror.
(see 3)
10.) Every week she'll have "another song" that makes her think of you when you're away.
(And she'll cry to it, even when you're in the same room)
11.) If you're married, she may know the base better than you do... Don't take it personal.
12.) You will catch her comparing your relationship with "other couples" in the military constantly.
13.) She'll make 5 million friends online, and talk to you about them all the time because her "old friends just don't understand" like they do.
14.) Don't be shocked when she just drops civilian chicks out of her life like flies.
(she mostly does this when they complain to her)
15.) DO NOT if you love her, say anything about you not wanting to make her wait for you... (TRUST me men, YOU ARE WORTH every breath to these women, or they wouldn't be here)
16.) Most women actually do LOVE it when you are sweaty and dirty, even the girlie girls. it's sexy as hell.
17.) Only bring up the field once, say it clear, and don't bring it up again. We will remember the time, the dates, like stone inside our mind. Don't remind us.
18.) You ARE our hero. That isn't us being cute, it's us swelling with pride, feeling like a princess every time we glance over and you're standing there.
19.) Don't worry about waking her up when you get a chance to call, trust me, she's NOT sleeping. If she is, she's been waiting for you to call all night, and fell asleep next to the phone.
20.) Leave at least 3 of your shirts for her... she'll wear them all the time and if she doesn't wear them out she WILL wear them to sleep.
21.) No matter what she was like before, she is tough & harder than a rock now. She can handle anything, she will get through it, tears or no tears.
22.) Don't be discouraged or taken back from her strength. It comes with the territory. When in your arms, she's still your queen, soft and sweet.
23.) Your kids might see mommy as the one in charge for a while, it's okay, they WILL respect you, just give it time.
24.) EVERYTHING in her life will be complicated, so she might not always get the simple things you say to her.
25.) Tag Chasers are her WORST enemy, she CAN and WILL spot these girls... random profane comments may come out of your little queens' mouth... its okay, shes protecting her best asset...you.
26.) She will spend hours to look good on cam & pics for you, this is just a past time until you get home, be prepared for messy ponytails and comfy pants when you finally do get home.
27.) Her favorite sentences from you start with "when i get home" or "when i get out".
Lastly guys,
28.) No matter how much she's changed, never forget that you mean the world to her, she loves you more than anything, and you will ALWAYS be her hero..whether you think you are one or not.

The Silent Ranks

I wear no uniforms, no blues or army greens,
But I am in the military in the ranks rarely seen.
I have no rank upon my shoulders.
Salutes I do not give.
But the military world is the place where I live.
I'm not in the chain of command, orders I do not get.
But my husband is the one that does,
this I cannot forget.
I'm not the one who fires the weapon,
who puts my life on the line.
But my job is just as tough.  I'm the one that's left behind.
My husband is a patriot, a brave and prideful man
and the call to serve his country, not all can understand.
Behind the lines I see the things needed
to keep this country free.
My husband makes this sacrifice,
but so do our kids and me.
I love the man I married.  Soldiering is his life.
But I stand among the silent ranks
Known as the military wife.



I didn't write any of these lovely poems. They were written by Military S.O's and I though they were worth reading so I posted them on here.  have placed sailor in the poems that didn't have it written cause that's what I have hooyah. Feel free to snag and put what you have :)

0 comments: